Thursday, May 16, 2013

Efudex Days One and Two

Day 1 before applying Efudex
May 14, 2013

I know you're probably here to see what I look like after the first application of Efudex, but honestly you won't see too significant of a change for the first 3-5 days. But please continue to read because I let you in on some tips and tricks I've masterminded.

Since I had two weeks before I received my prescription, I had a lot of time to do some research online and devise a plan. After seeing dry cracked and burnt lips, noses, and eyes, and learning about the number of people who needed prescription pain killers to tolerate the pain, my goal was to endure the least amount of pain possible and to avoid getting the Efudex cream on any part of my face that would later wreak havoc. 

My approach was similar to one I take when I wax my eyebrows (sorry guys, you may not be able to relate, but you'll get the idea). I put vaseline on the areas around my eyes to create a barrier where I don't want wax to drip, e.g. my eyelashes, eyelids, and under my eyes. When applying Efudex, I use Eucerin's Aquaphor around my eyes, creases around my nose, and around the edges of my lips (recommended by my dermatologist to soothe dry cracking areas while using Efudex), and if I accidentally get the Efudex cream closer to my eye than I wanted,  I use a Q-Tip to easily remove the Efudex cream. I must say it is a grand plan!!

Helpful Tips: Wash your hands. Wear latex gloves when applying. Use Q-Tips to apply to smaller areas or use Q-Tip to lightly tap on an area where you have an itch.

So, I started the medication in the evening (only got one dose that day). I washed my face as usual with a soap-free wash, but as my face becomes more sensitive, I plan to use the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (it won't disturb your skin's natural Ph, which I think might be key as your face changes with Efudex). I waited about 15 minutes and applied Efudex. An hour later, there was a little bit of tingling and I had a slight headache and upset stomach when I went to bed (could've just been my nerves).

I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, so it will be interesting to see how I do compared to what I've seen online.

May 15, 2013

A little more tingling, some itching, a little more redness.
Day 2 with Efudex (make face a little greasy)


No comments:

Post a Comment